I wanted to touch base on the subject of Ego and why you should transcend it.
In today’s society, the ego is glorified and put on a pedestal The ego sets the stage for man vs man. The ego separates and divides people even though we are all one. When the ego reacts, it is ultimately motivated by one thing; power. More specifically, power over the other. As a result of this simple yet potentially dangerous “prime directive,” the ego is fueled by only one emotional frequency:
The ego gets angry, the ego is selfish; it feeds your fears. You are allowing You to kill Your mind. Simple as that.
Fears are mind-killers; they are simply illusions that you are allowing yourself to believe. Now do not get me wrong, the ego is not something to push against, struggle with, or overcome. The ego is not something to be “killed”. That mindset will only set you up for more struggle with the ego lurking around when you least expect it. You don’t defeat darkness with darkness. You transcend darkness by bringing in the light.
As Osho teaches: “Try to understand the ego. Analyze it, dissect it, watch it, observe it, from as many angles as possible. And don’t be in a hurry to sacrifice it, otherwise the greatest egoist is born: the person who thinks he is humble, the person who thinks that he has no ego.”
The journey from fear to love entails an evolution of consciousness. The ‘love’ found in this world has been romanticized and transformed into something you must attain or make sacrifices to find it… Everyone has been programmed from early childhood to run after this mirage. We have been desensitized and detoured from the attainment of worldly, unconditional & infinite Love.
So, what can you do to help transcend the ego?
- Release all attachments and aversions.
- You must learn to be fully in the present moment for that is all you have.
- Learn about the ego as thoroughly as possible. Notice and learn to detect every single time the ego tries to take the wheel. This way, when you notice it, you can easily overcome it.
- Don’t fight it. Don’t put up resistance. What you resist persists. Instead, Love the ego and the role it plays in your life, giving you the illusions of duality and opposites. Love it, accept it, and let it go.
- See everything in a state of perfection. The world is perfect, just as it is. People are perfect, just as they are. This is not a judgment, its the simple truth.
- See yourself as the infinite consciousness that you are. You are a spirit passing through having a wonderful human experience.
- Meditate. Spend time watching your mind in action, acknowledge your divinity.
- Learn to forgive others and yourself.
- Devote yourself to worldly, infinite, unconditional Love.
Remember to always be patient, nurturing, and kind to yourself. Transcending the ego is one of the most challenging things you could possibly do.
Do you feel that transcending the ego is key for the road to enlightenment? What are some other ways to let go of the ego? Please feel free to share!
“I don’t regret the painful times; I bare my scars as if they were medals. I know that freedom has a high price, as high as that of slavery; the only difference is that you pay with pleasure and a smile, even when that smile is dimmed by tears.”